Pomorie lies on a narrow rocky peninsula. The town was founded in the 4th c BC by Greek colonisers from Apollonia (present day Sozopol). The ancient name of the town was Ankhialo, which means ”beside the salt”. In the 1st c BC the Romans invaded this coast and in the 1st c AD Pomorie became the Roman administrative centre of this area. In 812 it was seized for the first time by the Bulgarians and developed as a commercial town. During the frequent wars with Byzantium it changed hands many times until it fell to the Turks in the 15th c. Under the Turks it also enjoyed some importance because of the salt production.
The town suffered a disastrous fire in 1906 and practically nothing of the old town has survived.
Today Pomorie enjoys popularity as a holiday resort.
The salt pans of Lake Pomorie have been worked since ancient times. The salt content of the lagoon lake exceeds greatly that of the sea water. The pans are called ”open-air plants” because the production areas are in the open. The basins are filled with water and after its evaporation salt crystals remain on the bottom. Production is cheap but it depends entirely on weather conditions. The active season is between April 15th and October 15th.
The industrial production of salt began at the end of the 19th c. Now, about 40 000 tons of salt are produced yearly from this lake and from another one near Bourgas. Besides salt, about 5000 tons of lye are extracted for medical purposes. Lye is used for the production of tooth paste as well as for curative procedures, recommended for people suffering from gynecological, skin, neurological diseases.
The wine cellar near the town of Pomorie is one of the biggest cellars on the Balkan Peninsula. It processes more than 40 000 tons of grapes. Wine-making in Pomorie has long traditions.